BAPTISM IS NOT A CONDITON OF SALVATION,
IT'S EVIDENCE OF SALVATION.
We are excited that you are interested in baptism. We believe that baptism is an important step of obedience for every person who has accepted Christ as his or her Savior.
We consider it a privilege to walk with you as you take this next step on your spiritual journey!
[WHAT WE BELIEVE]
Who Should Be Baptized
Christians believe that the blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the cross, provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. Therefore, salvation occurs only when a person places his or her faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as the full payment for his or her sin.
If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you are ready to be baptized. Just like a bride and groom show others their love for one another by wearing wedding bands, your baptism is your opportunity to show others that you have accepted Christ and are now walking with Him.
What Baptism Symbolizes
Baptism is a way of showing others that you have entered into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It symbolizes what took place in your heart at the time of salvation:
- Accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Shared in His death and resurrection, illustrated through baptism by going under the water (dead to your old life), then rising again (new life).
- Were symbolically washed clean, and sins were forgiven by His death on the cross.
- Because Jesus instructed us to be baptized, baptism is an act of obedience. While it is not necessary for salvation, it demonstrates submission to God. We fully immerse at Canyons Church because we believe Scripture shows that Jesus modeled that for us as the way to publicly acknowledge our faith in Him.
Some denominations choose to christen infants. While we recognize the right of other churches to practice infant christening, we understand Scripture to teach that only professing believers qualify for baptism. Baptism does not make you a believer, rather it shows that you already believe.
The baptism process at Canyons Church has been designed to be both simple and meaningful. From the registration form to the baptism meeting, each step has been carefully planned with you in mind:
- Watch the baptism message from Andy Stanley called "Going Public", on the next page.
- Read about making your video. We want you to be as comfortable and prepared for the video as possible.
- Film your testimony.
- Get baptized! Baptisms will take place on a scheduled date after your testimony shoot. The actual baptism typically takes place in our auditorium right before the message is presented. We would love for you to invite family and friends to celebrate with you on the Sunday that you are baptized.
If you think baptism might be the next step for you, take thirty minutes and watch Andy’s talk, “Going Public”. In the message, he answers the questions that are most often asked about baptism.
[MAKING YOUR STORY]
One of the most powerful aspects of baptism at Canyons Church is the video testimony shown right before your baptism. The video allows you to share how you came to know Jesus Christ as your Savior and how he has been working in your life.
Baptism is meant to be a public profession and it is an incredible opportunity to share God’s message of redemption with hundreds of people. We truly have witnessed the life-changing effect these videos have had on people’s lives. It is incredible!
Another important reason we do a video is that we as a congregation grow in our faith by watching these stories. It allows friends, family, and even those you don’t know to celebrate the amazing transformation Christ has worked in your life.